The Altitude was built for those that push further, climb higher, & don’t take no for an answer. Its near weightlessness & breathability combined with a thoughtful design will keep you comfortable whether you’re trail running, hiking, or in almost any other outdoor setting.
The name "Altitude" comes from the need to protect ourselves from some nasty sunburns, especially at high elevations. One of the significant tests we put the Altitude Sun Hoodie through was when we backpacked the Uinta Highline Trail, a trail the stretches over 100 miles with 80% of those miles above 10,000 ft! It performed exceptionally well, & we came to rely on the Altitude for adventures afterwards!
One thing you’ll notice right away is how well the Altitude manages moisture for you. The performance synthetic fabric wicks moisture from your skin & dries incredibly quickly!
This means the Altitude can also be used year round as a base layer! The fit should be athletic, but not tight or restrictive- this allows the synthetic blend to more effectively manage & wick away moisture.
The ultralight fabric will shield you from the sun without causing you to overheat so you can keep adventuring day-in & day-out without any sensitive skin. The high collar will give you max coverage, even when your hood is down!
The Altitude Hoodie is perfect for high activity. No hardware. No frills. Just pure performance.
3.4 oz (size Women's S)
True Flat-Lock Seams
Minimal Clean Collar Hood
Sun Blocking Ability
- Fabric: 80 GSM 100% polyester
- UPF Rating: Inconclusive because fabric is too light & thin, making it hard to test - (the Altitude has been tested extensively in high elevation sunlight with no sign of UV ray penetration)
- Fit: Close - The Altitude hoodie should fit close to skin and fit easily beneath other layers.
- Gender: Women
- Warranty: Outdoor Vitals Performance Promise
Care: This product is built for ultralight performance, & was not built to withstand abrasion.
Do not wash in a machine that has an agitator. Use mild detergent on a delicate cycle with cold water. Hang dry.
Note: If used with a backpack, some pilling may occur. Pilling will not affect performance, & is not covered under warranty.
Layering Collection: Kinetic
Layering Category: Moving Set
Your Altitude Hoodie or Tee is a high performance piece of gear. It needs some extra attention to keep it performing at the highest level.
Please read through the care instructions below to ensure that you care for it properly:
- Never wash your Altitude in a washing machine that has an agitator.
- If you cannot follow the prior instructions you should hand wash your product
The Wash & Dry Process
- Use mild detergent like Dreft (for babies) or Nikwax Tech Wash (for technical gear).
- Choose Low Spin or Delicate wash.
- Choose Cold Wash & Cold Rinse (add extra rinse if possible).
- Hang dry until the product is completely dry.
For more information on caring for your gear please visit https://outdoorvitals.com/pages/care-guide-faq
Designing The Altitude
I spent this summer (~3 months) sectioning the Continental Divide Trail in snow, rain and sun. I wore my Tern Medium (blue) almost every day and I was happy with its performance and surprised how well it held up. The comfortable temperature range was wider than I imagined and I didn't get sun burn. The hood is functional--staying in place and not restricting vision. The odor protection is what you would expect in a wool garment. I got a few holes from barbed wire and a particularly sharp blowdown but better than I expected for a lightweight garment. Velcro caught on it but didn't ruin it. Discoloration didn't take place until month 3. Will continue using it and likely buy another!
A great hoodie for day and night
Florida hiker here
- this is the most breathable sun hoodie ever. I have a lot to battle the FL sun and this takes the cake for breathability
- collar Covers most of my neck
- I have worn this in the ocean for 5-6 uses and it protected my skin . Not what jr was intenddd for…. But good to know
- grey color, as expected , shows dirt easily
Only flaw is that the stitching on the cuffs and waist have completely come apart in multiple places after 10-12 uses. I’ll need to re-stitch the hem w something more durable . For a $50 garment, I would have expected it would hold up a little better
Overall, I love this so much! My new fave sun shirt. P
Who knew I'd be willing to wear a long sleeved hoodie when it is ridiculously hot? Turns out this puppy is cool enough that I was willing to do just that, and I don't have to worry about sunburn. Fits great, looks great, light weight. What else could a gal ask for?
We backpack about a thousand miles a year. I have used many brands and I am always lookingk for the best. This shirt fits the bill for hot weather hiking. It is ultralight, breathable, and comfortable.