Layering Collection: Kinetic
Your Tern Ultralight Merino Wool apparel is a high performance piece of gear. It needs some extra attention to keep it performing at the highest level.
Please read through the care instructions below to ensure that you care for it properly:
- Never wash your merino wool with anything with velcro or similar hook & loop characteristics.
- Never wash your merino wool in a washing machine that has an agitator.
- If you cannot follow any of these prior instructions you should hand wash your product using the detergent and drying process described below.
The Wash & Dry Process
- Use a mild detergent like Dreft (for babies) or Nikwax (for technical gear).
- Choose Low Spin or Delicate wash.
- Choose Cold Wash & Cold Rinse (add extra rinse if possible).
- Hang dry until the product is completely dry.
For more information on caring for your gear please visit https://outdoorvitals.com/pages/care-guide-faq
Outdoor vitals uses Nuyarn® Technology in all of our merino wool fabrics & apparel. Nuyarn is a spinning technology that releases the natural performance characteristics of wool fiber that are otherwise twisted out by traditional wool spinning methods.
Essentially the result is performance products made from natural fibers that can outperform synthetics.
Nuyarn can make wook that performs as closely as possible to the way it does in nature, to rival or exceed the performance of synthetic alternatives.
Types of Spinning
Ring Spun & Traditional Core Spun techniques compress the natural air pockets in the fiber, create loops, & restrict the natural movement of the fibers -essentially creating a rope-like structure that can be itchy next to skin.
Nuyarn® does not twist the fibers. Instead it drafts merino fibers along a high performance filament, resulting in 2 ply yarns with much more volume & aeration. (This 2 ply yarn structure is 35% finer than yarns spun on a conventional ring frame. Combined with the Nuyarn® thermal advantage, this offers the capacity to engineer much lighter, high performance fabrics as a result.)
The Nuyarn® method of twist-free spinning allows us to create products that outperform traditional merino wool & synthetics, and offer a natural enhancer to athletic performance.
- 5x Faster Drying
- 85% More Elasticity
- 120% More Seam Strength
- 53% More Air Resistant
- 30% Less Resources Used
- 8.8x More Durable
- 35% More Thermal Retention
- 50% More Burst Strength
- 25% Less Energy Used