Ventus- named from the Latin origin word for ‘wind’, this lightweight insulated active hoodie vents incredibly well all while maintaining its static insulation properties.
- Ultralight Weight & Packability: At just 7 oz, the Ventus is half the weight of other comparable insulated hoodies. This mid layer can do more for you while weighing less & packing down to the size of a grapefruit.
- Body-Mapped Breathability & Reactive Warmth: This is enabled through perforated armpit vents, targeted insulation placement, and actively breathable 3DeFX insulation. 3DeFX stretches with you as you move, allowing more heat to pass through when you need to vent. When not in motion, the insulation maximizes loft for more warmth. Stay the perfect temperature regardless of your activity levels!
- Motion Oriented Design: Not only does the insulation stretch with you, but the durable 2-Way Stretch Nylon will also give you freedom of motion for a wide range of activities.
- Simple With Style: The sleek design, subtle branding, and athletic fit all contribute to a versatile hoodie that looks good in any application.
For backpackers, mountain bikers, snowshoers, & adventurers on the go, The Ventus Active Hoodie is a must-have. Experience the outdoors more comfortably with the insulated outdoor hoodie that offers warmth without the weight.
7 oz (Size Medium)
3DeFX Insulation that stretches with you and creates maximum loft and warmth
20D Ripstop Nylon is durable and keeps the hoodie ultralight
Body-Mapped Insulation Placement allows the hoodie to vent more for the areas of your torso that are typically the hottest
YKK 1/4 Zipper allows for easy on and off and increased venting
Perforated Underarm Vents are one of the most breathable areas on the hoodie, giving you max comfort
Drop Back Hem that keeps you covered whether you are sitting or on the move
Stretch Cuffs make sure the hoodie fits well while giving the hoodie a simple, sleek look
Insulated Hood moves with your head without blocking vision
Lightweight coatings allow the Ventus to also act as a wind breaker and stay water resistant
Thumb Loops help you keep your sleeves from bunching when you are laying another jacket over the Ventus Hoodie
Hidden Inner Pocket allows you to easily pack down the hoodie while not in use
Athletic Cut gives the hoodie a sleek appearance
Subtle Branding is unobtrusive and gives the hoodie a sleek appearance
- Insulation: 25 g/m2 3DeFX active stretch insulation
- Shell Fabric: 20D Ripstop Nylon DWR treated
- Inner Fabric: 20D Ripstop Nylon
- Color: Black, Blue, Olive
- Gender: Male, Female
- Zippers: YKK
- Fit: Athletic - the Ventus should fit fairly close to skin. You should only be able to wear a base layer or light shirt beneath it.
- Tall Size Fit: tall sizes are approximately 2 inches longer in the sleeves & 2 inches taller in the torso.
- Warranty: Outdoor Vitals Performance Promise
Cleaning: Machine wash cold, use mild detergent, airdry
Layering Collection: Kinetic
Layering Category: Active Insulation
Your Ventus Active Hoodie is a high performance piece of gear. It needs some extra attention to keep it performing at the highest level.
Please read through the care instructions below to ensure that you care for it properly:
- Never wash your jacket in a washing machine that has an agitator.
- If you cannot follow either of these prior instructions you should hand wash your jacket using the detergent and drying process described below.
The Wash & Dry Process
- Use a mild detergent like Dreft (for babies) or Nikwax (for technical gear).
- Choose Low Spin or Delicate wash.
- Choose Cold Wash & Cold Rinse.
- Hang dry until the jacket is completely dry.
- Then loft and redistribute your insulation in the dryer by running it for 10 minutes on low or no heat with 3 dryer balls.
For more information on caring for your gear please visit https://outdoorvitals.com/pages/care-guide-faq
Four types of spiral-shaped fibers are intertwined to give 3DeFX insulation more loft and stretchability than traditional microfiber synthetic insulations. This insulation stretches with you as you move, allowing heat to escape & keeping you at the perfect temperature!
When active, your body motion stretches the tiny coils of fiber in the insulation. As the coils are stretched (much like trampoline springs,) the 3DeFX insulation is less lofty & more heat is allowed to pass through.
As soon as you stop moving, those tiny insulation fibers coil back up and create maximum loft in the insulation.
Basically what this means is that you get a warmer insulation that weighs less & helps regulate temperature.
Features & Capabilities
We've made sure to add all your favorite features to maximize warmth, utility, coverage, and design. The features of the Ventus Active Hoodie will allow you to adapt to many different types of adventures!
View these video resources for more details about the Ventus materials, insulation, features, & design.
Featured in Backpacker Magazine's "The Best Men's Hiking Apparel of 2022"
Selected for Outside Magazine's 2022 Summer Buyer's Guide
"Have you ever tried baking croissants? If not, just know that sometimes you need the perfect recipe and plenty of experience to succeed. In this case, the Outdoor Vitals Ventus Active Hoodie is our croissant."
"...it’s been an awesome performer for cold morning trail running in a variety of temperatures from 25-40 degrees. The vented armpits breathe well and the whole jacket moves perfectly with every motion."
"Whether you’re on the hunt for “one midlayer to rule them all” or just looking for another awesome lightweight layer to add to the collection, I’d definitely recommend giving the Ventus a try. "
"This is currently my favorite mid-to-outer layer jacket, which I can wear in pretty much any situation where I want to keep warm but also regulate temperature."
More Warmth, Less Weight
Weighing just 7 oz, the Ventus is warmer than any traditional cotton or fleece hoodie.
At the same time it's also incredibly breathable when you need that instead!
"The Ventus fits me absolutely perfectly, like it was tailored to me! INCREDIBLE piece of clothing and unlike anything else that I own. The quality is impeccable! I wish I had had it on Friday when I went snowshoeing, because it's actually perfect for situations like that where you're sweaty but the wind and air are really cold and you don't just want to be in your thin wool under layer.
-Franziska (Hike Oregon)
"The cut is amazing. I'm a fairly 'lanky' guy at ' and with fairly long arms, so I find that most tops end up being either too boxy in the torso or too short in the arms. You absolutely nailed the cut for my body portions."
-Jeff (Jeff Pelletier)
"I've been really impressed with the performance! So much so that I've begun reconsidering bringing a down puffy on future trips and instead just using the Ventus! So far I've tested it in temperatures from 40F to 20F in all sorts of various wind conditions. I've been amazed by its ability to shed wind and insulate (especially for its weight and compactibility!)"
-Jesse (Backcountry Forward)
"I unpacked it in front of my sister and the first thing I said was 'It's so light!' I honestly hadn't expected it to feel so light. The packability aspect is also a huge plus. It's compact when tucked into the pocket and obviously can pack down even more once packed into a backpack. Aesthetically it is a cool looking piece of gear that is also highly functional, ultra lightweight and comfortable. I'm impressed."
-Catherine (Catherine Gregory)
I held off buying but finally gave in and I’m so glad I did. It is the perfect winter layer to keep me cozy but not overheating and held up wonderfully on my back packing trips and trips to the store.
I bought this for my wife for a Valentine's gift. She loves it. It’s true to size and she says it’s warm and that she’s very excited to use on this years shoulder season backpacking trips and at night in the summer. Thanks for the great product!
My first & favorite OV purchase. This garment is so versatile. I have many fleeces & shells & always wear this one. It’s comfortable in many temperatures & conditions. May buy another one to rotate in.
I always wear it on a descent & feel great. It’s my “go downhill” jacket!
In the winter I run cold, I'm always a three layer person. I am really amazed that I am comfortable with one base and the hoodie in the low 30's. We haven't been in the 20's yet where I live but I look forward to seeing how low it'll will go before I break out the puffy.
I originally bought one of these for myself, and I like it so much, I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. It's very warm and versatile and I like that it packs down to a small size. Great product.